Fans are the simplest and most cost-efficient method of increasing thermal performance. Adding a fan to a natural convection solution improves heat transfer by directing cooler air into, around and/or over primary thermal device, forcing heat and hot air out of an assembly.
When ambient environment or natural convection cooling cannot sustain enough heat transfer for higher power applications, fans and forced air convection cooling are designed to manipulate this environment. Fans are used to maintain an optimized flow rate that allows maximum thermal transfer within designed specifications. Fans force cool air over a thermal component like a heat sink, heat pipe, or vapor chamber, enabling heat to transfer from the thermal component to the forced air, then transfer that heat out of an assembly. This maintains a more constant flow of cooler air over the thermal component which enables solutions like heat sinks to more efficiently and effectively move heat away from the heat-generating device.
While we provide a variety of standard axial fan options, Aavid, Thermal Division of Boyd Corporation manufactures custom fans and fan systems to meet exacting application requirements. We’re able to customize impeller and housing geometry as well motor construction and controller options like speeds, voltages, and function types and supporting solutions to manage, minimize or control acoustics and vibration.
Axial Fan Product Details:
- Typical Frame Sizes:
- 25 x 25 mm – 120 x 120 mm, larger options can be custom designed and fabricated
- Bearing Options:
- Fluid Sleeve Bearing (FLB)
- Ball Bearing (BB)
- Voltage Options:
- 5V, 12V, 24V, 48V
- Control Options:
- Frequency Generation
- Restart protection
- Rotation Detection
- Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
- IP Ratings:
- None for most standards
- 22 for some within PE series
- Can add additional Ingress Protection for more rugged applications
Standard Axial Fan Details:
Aavid has three series of standard fan series: PA, PE and PS to fit a wide range of applications. All are available in a variety of speeds, voltages, and function types. These fans typically range between 30 x 30 mm to 120 x 120 mm.
- The PA series is the most economical of Aavid’s standard fan offerings. This series is well suited to low power applications that cannot be cooled with only natural convection.
- The PS series is recommended for mid-range applications.
- The PE series, Aavid’s highest performing fan series, is best suited for high power applications. These fans provide high functionality and performance for rapidly cooling high end products. Fans in this series are only available with ball bearings.